Grant Applications for 2017
In 2016 the Tait Memorial Trust awarded grants to the value of £40,000 to 19 young Australian performing artists. Awards varied from 2 x £5,000 per annum for 3/4 years: the Tait Scholar award at the Royal College of Music, and the Higgins Scholar at the Royal Northern College of Music, to several tied awards to the winners of major Australian competitions and grants made by the Trust to direct applications. These awards included :
- The Australian International Opera Awards recipient received a grant of £3,000
- The 2nd prize winner in the Joan Sutherland & Richard Bonynge Foundation Bel Canto Award was awarded a performance platform with us in London.
- A prize of £1,000 to the ‘Australian musician showing the most promise’at the annual Royal Over-Seas League music competition.
- and several awards of £1,000+ to singers, musicians, composers and conductors.
- We gave multiple awards of £2,000+ to young dancers under the auspices of the Leanne Benjamin Awards, to assist with their studies at The Royal Ballet School, and at The English National Ballet School.
Our new online form is specific to individuals. If you wish to apply for an ensemble or a project etc please write to us at email@example.com with a detailed proposal. For a Musical application please note the March 1st closing date.
Applicants must be:
- Australian citizens, or domiciled in Australia (Proof of this will be required).
- Singers, musicians, conductors and composers must be under the age of 35 as at 1st March 2017.
- Dancers must be under the age of 21 as at 1st May 2017 (provisional, dependent on closing date)
What you need before you begin your online application:
- A minimum of two recordings – YouTube or Soundcloud
- Scan of passport or another official document which will confirm proof of age and your nationality/residence.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter: that includes a description of the proposed course of study, institution, teacher and explaining why you want to pursue this course of study at this particular time, and how it will benefit your professional and artistic development.
- Two written references from musicians/artists of standing or for ballet, dancers/your dance teacher/choreographer.
If you have any queries, or need any assistance about the process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FAQ for Music Applications
- Please clearly label each file ie Biography, YouTube/Souncloud description, Photo etc.
- In most cases the grant is paid directly to you in the UK by electronic funds transfer to your bank account, or in the case of the Leanne Benjamin Awards, and the Tait Scholar/Higgins Scholar, directly to the relevant institutions.
- We ask that all Awardees submit a brief report to the Trustees at the end of the year.
- On acceptance of a Tait Award you confirm that you agree to perform in concert for the Trust during the term of this award which is the 2017/18 UK academic year for no fee.
FAQ for Dance Application
The following must be included with your completed application form which must be submitted before the closing date tba:
- Film of you performing: (a YouTube link)
- One classical solo, en pointe
- One other solo, preferably from the classical repertoire
- Film of you working in class, at the barre etc
- Photocopy of passport or an official document (proof of age, nationality/residence)
- Curriculum Vitae and brief biography
- Two references from the following: dancers/choreographers/your ballet teacher
- This year your completed application can be sent to us with our new online form.
- Applications for Music will open on Monday January 9th 2017 and will close at 5pm Wednesday 1st March
- Applications for Dance will open in the coming months tba