Grant Applications for 2019
Open to young performing artists
from Australia and New Zealand
Music and Ballet applications for 2018
are now closed
Music applications will open for 2019
on January 15th 2019
Ballet applications will open for 2019
on February 15th 2019
In 2017 the Tait Memorial Trust awarded grants to the value of £50,000 to 22 young Australian performing artists. Awards included the Sir Charles Mackerras Chair with the Southbank Sinfonia for £8,000, 2 x £5,000 per annum awards for the term of the degree: the Tait Scholar award at the Royal College of Music, and the Higgins Scholar at the Royal Northern College of Music.
We also support several tied awards to the winners of major Australian competitions.
These awards included :
- The Australian International Opera Awards recipient received a grant of £3,000
- The 2nd prize winner in the Joan Sutherland & Richard Bonynge Foundation Bel Canto Award was awarded a performance platform with us in London.
- A prize of £1,000 to the ‘Australian musician showing the most promise’at the annual Royal Over-Seas League music competition.
- and several awards of £2,000+ to singers, musicians, composers and conductors.
- We gave multiple awards of £2,000+ to young dancers under the auspices of the Leanne Benjamin Awards, to assist with their studies at The English National Ballet School and other UK ballet schools by application.
Our online form is specific to individuals. If you wish to apply for an ensemble or a project etc please write to us at email@example.com with a detailed proposal.
Applicants must be:
- Australian or New Zealand citizens or domiciled/resident in Australia or New Zealand (Proof of this will be required).
- Singers, musicians, conductors and composers must be under the age of 35 as at 1st March 2019.
- Dancers must be older than 16 as at September 1st 2019, and under the age of 21 as at 1st April 2019
- Students should have completed their secondary education to age 16 and have achieved five good passes at GCSE, or an equivalent level.
What you need before you begin your online application:
- A minimum of two recordings – YouTube or Soundcloud
- Scan of passport or another official document which will confirm proof of age and your nationality/residence.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter: that includes a description of the proposed course of study, institution, teacher and explaining why you want to pursue this course of study at this particular time, and how it will benefit your professional and artistic development.
- For Music Awards
- Two written references from musicians/artists of standing
- For Leanne Benjamin Awards
- Two written references from ballet dancers/your dance teacher/choreographer.
If you have any queries, or need any assistance about the process, please email us
FAQ for Music Applications
- Please clearly label each file ie Biography, YouTube/SoundCloud description, Photo etc.
- In most cases the grant is paid directly to you in the UK by electronic funds transfer to your bank account, or in the case of the Leanne Benjamin Awards, and the Tait Scholar/Higgins Scholar, directly to the relevant institutions.
- We ask that all Awardees submit a brief report to the Trustees at the end of the year.
- On acceptance of a Tait Award you confirm that you agree to perform in concert for the Trust during the term of this award which is the 2017/18 UK academic year for no fee.
- Music applications closed Thursday March 1st 2018
FAQ for Dance Application
The following must be included with your completed application form:
- Photocopy of passport or an official document (proof of age, nationality/residence)
- Curriculum Vitae and brief biography
- Two references from the following: dancers/choreographers/your ballet teacher
- The grant is paid directly to the relevant institutions
- LBA applications closed Sunday April 15th 2018
- Film of you performing: (a YouTube link)
- One classical solo, en pointe
- One other solo, preferably from the classical repertoire
- Film of you working in class, at the barre etc
- Your completed application can be sent to us with our new online form.
- Application dates for the 2019/2020 Academic Year are as follows:
MUSIC APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN FOR 2019 ON JANUARY 15TH 2019
BALLET APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN FROM FOR 2019 ON FEBRUARY 15TH 2019
Please contact us if you have any questions