We are delighted to report that our Patron, Leanne Benjamin AM OBE, has been asked to join the jury of the prestigious Prix de Lausanne 2017. This is a great honour and acknowledges Leanne’s stature in the world of classical ballet.
This year the Tait Memorial Trust, Leanne Benjamin Awards proudly supports three young Australian dancers:
Lauren Songberg, ballet – English National Ballet School
Chloe Keneally, ballet – English National Ballet School
Rebecca Blenkinsop, ballet – Royal Ballet School
The article below was published by gramilano.com on the 30th November.
Jury members announced for the Prix de Lausanne 45th edition
The Prix de Lausanne is a wonderful opportunity for me to see the talented dancers of tomorrow. I see it as more than a competition; it is a place where our young dancers are encouraged, cared for and given the feedback that provides the foundation for their future careers.
Each of the jurors has a link with one of the competition’s partner schools and companies, or is a former prize winner. Other aspects taken into consideration in forming the panel are having a wide geographical representation, a mix of experiences, and a representation of different styles of dance.
The jury of this edition is made up of the following members:
- Kevin O’Hare: Director, Royal Ballet London – President of the jury (England)
- Leanne Benjamin: Prix de Lausanne Laureate 1981 (England)
- Paola Cantalupo: Artistic and Educational Director, Ecole Supérieure de Danse Cannes-Mougins Rosella Hightower and Prix de Lausanne Laureate 1977 (France)
- Gigi Hyatt: Director of Education and Deputy Director, Hamburg Ballet (Germany)
- Sue Jin Kang: Artistic Director, Korean National Ballet (Korea)
- Goyo Montero: Ballet Director and Choreographer, Staatstheater Nürnberg and Prix de Lausanne Laureate 1994 (Germany)
- Aki Saito: Prix de Lausanne Laureate 1991 (Japan)
- Christian Spuck: Artistic Director, Zurich Ballet (Switzerland)
- Stanton Welch: Artistic Director. Houston Ballet (United-States)
Shelly Power, who is the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer for the 2017 Prix de Lausanne, said,
I am honored to present the 2017 jury who collectively bring years of experience ranging from teaching, performing, directing and choreographing worldwide. Kevin O’Hare as President and his team of jury members will open doors and make dreams come true for the talented few who are about to embark on the next and perhaps most important step of their careers.
Tickets for all Prix de Lausanne 2017 events go on sale 15 December 2016